Hajj is one of the great pillars of Islam. Allah Almighty has made it obligatory on the Muslims who are able to find a way to do it in specific dates, instead of Umrah which could be performed by Muslims that can be grasped at whatever point of the year.
The Holy Prophet of Islam (S.A.W.A.) stated:
- Everyone who wants the world and the hereafter should perform hajj rituals.
- In 4 occasions the doors of sky are opened and prayers will be accepted ; on the occasion of coincidence of the rows of fighters in the cause of God, when it rains and in the time of getting up for saying prayers and at the time of looking at the great Kaaba.
- Hajj is a minor Jihad.
- Whoever goes to Hajj with religiously prohibited money, then says: I’m here, oh God, I’m here (Labake Allahomma Labake) God will answer: No, you are not here and no your Hajj should be of your own.
- Drinking the Zamzam’s water is a cure for every illness.
- When you finish Hajj rituals, you are so pure as if you have been born again.
- Someone who circumambulates God’s house seven times and says two units of prayers in the back of Magham (which is a holy place in Kaaba) and drinks Zamzm’s water, all his sins will be cleared.
Imam Ali (A.S.) said:
- Don’t you see that the Glorious God ever since Adam’s time till the end of the world has tested people with rocks that are useless as well as harmless, blind as well as deaf, and with all his respect, built them into a place where people gather round. Then, it was placed in the most rocky, plant less, and harrow canyon which was between the toughest mountains, hottest pebbles, and waterless springs that was very far from plains, somewhere no camel, horse, cow, or sheep could grow fat. If the Glorious God with all his respect were to place his home and the Hajj’s ceremonial place somewhere else that was in the middle of gardens, springs, plains full of trees, fruit, and close houses and villages, and where fields full of wheat, gardens full of flowers, fine land and sure enough however simple the examination is, the reward will be little.
- Four heavenly places exists on earth: Masjid -ul- Haram, the mosque of the Prophet, the mosque of Bayt -al- Muqaddas and the mosque of Kufah.
- The Zamzam’s water (which is a holy well near Kaaba) is the best water on earth.
- Someone who goes to Hajj and Umrah, he is in fact going to God and God honors his guests and forgives them.
Imam Ali Ibn Al- Hussain Zainul Abedin (A.S.) says:
- Perform Hajj and Umrah rituals in order to be safe and sound, to make it better living for your family and make a better life.
He said: “Hajj”. The prophet of God (S.A.W.) looked at the strings of camels taking Hajis to the pilgrimage of God’s House and said: They don’t take steps unless it is taken as a good deed, they don’t take steps unless it vanishes a sin of them. And when they finish their ceremony of Hajj, they will be told: “You have made a building, don’t destroy it. Your sins are forgiven. From now on, do good deeds.”
- Feeding in Makkah is like fasting in other places and fasting one day in Makkah is equal to fasting one year in other places and walking in Makkah is a prayer itself.
- When Haji sacrifices in the desert of Mina (that is a place near Makkah), his sacrifices will be the price of his freedom from the fire of the Resurrection Day.
Imam Sajjad (A.S.) says:
- A person, who accepts responsibility for the family and financial matters of a Haji, has the same reward as a Haji has himself. It is even as if he has performed Hajj himself.
- Everyone completing a recitation of the Holy Quran in Makkah won’t die unless he sees the Prophet (S.A.W.) and his own place in the Heaven.
Imam Baqir (A.S.) said:
- Hajj and Umrah are two bazaars of the hereafter. The person who does Hajj and Umrah very often is the God’s guest. If God keeps him alive, he is kept forgiven and if God gets his life, he will enter the Paradise.
- Respect people who had performed Hajj and Umrah, because you are obliged to respect them.
- God does not accept the Hajj and Umrah whose costs have been paid for through illegal means property. (Religiously prohibited).
- It’s been narrated from Isaac Ibn Ammar that Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: O Isaac, everyone who circumambulates God’s House one time, God writes down 1000 good deeds for him, vanishes 1000 of his sins, gives him 1000 rewards, plants 1000 trees for him in Paradise, gives him mercifully the recompense for delivering 1000 slaves. When he reaches “Moltazem”, 8 doors of Heaven open and he is told: “Enter whichever door you wish”.
Isaac said: “I said to Imam that all of those are for a person who just circumambulates God’s House”?
- “Yes. Wouldn’t I teach you a bigger recompense?
“I said: “Please, teach me.
“He said: “Everyone who does something for his faithful brothers, God will give him the recompense of 10 circumambulations”.
- Whoever comes to pilgrimage this house is not accepted if he/she doesn’t have these three traits:
1 – Self-restraint from sinning.
2 – Forbearance to control his / her anger with.
3 – Treating his / her companions properly
- Abdullah Ibn Fazl says: “I said to Imam Sadiq (A.S.) that I have too many debts, I have a big family and I can’t afford the Hajj costs. Teach me a prayer. Imam stated: Say after each obligatory prayer: “May the blessings of Allah be upon Muhammad (S.A.W.) and his progeny, and pay my debts in this world and the hereafter.”
I said to him, “I know what the worldly debts are but what are the debts of the hereafter?”
Imam Sadiq (A.S.) says:
- God likes serving food and sacrificing of sheep in Mina.
- When a faithful man shaves all his hair in Mina and buries it. In the resurrection day, every hair will recall its owner’s name.
- God has provided 120 types of blessings around Kaaba, 60 of these blessings will be given to circumambulators, 40 of them will be given to prayers and 20 of these blessings will be for people who look at Kaaba. Regarding settlement in Arafat Imam Baqir (A.S.) says: None of good and wicked people would settle on the Arafat’s mountain unless God accepts their prayers; the chaste benediction for the mundane and afterlife matters will be accepted but the wicked prayers will be accepted just for their mundane matters.
- A man asked Imam Sadiq (A.S.)in Masjid- ul- Haram: Who commits the greatest sins?
Imam said: “Someone who settles in Arafat and Mashar, and he does the ceremony of “Saay” between the mountains of Safa and Marwa, and circumambulates around the God’s House, then he prays at the back of the Maghame Ibrahim (A.S.) but doubts whether God forgives him or not. This person commits the greatest sin.
- No place is more favored by God except the place of running (Masaa) because there is where any selfish or cruel person will be humiliated and disrespected.
- There are two kinds of Hajj: Doing the duties of Hajj for God and doing the duties of Hajj for people, whoever goes to Hajj for God, is rewarded with heaven, and whoever goes to Hajj because of people, on the Judgment Day, his / her reward will be given to those people.
- Regarding the verse (And whoever reaches there is safe) said, Any human that enters the Holy Shrine and turns to it is safe from God›s anger and if any kind of animal or bird enters, they should not be annoyed or forced out until it has left the Shrine itself.
- Imam Reda (A.S.) says:
- Hajj and Umrah vanish sins and poverty as a furnace vanishes impurities of Iron.