Karabala – a land that embraced the blood of martyrdom and sprouted minarets and golden domes that glitter in the horizon of pride, martyrdom, and loyalty. The moment you arrive at the land of Karbala and you hear the name of al Hussein (PBUH), you know that it is synonymous to martyrdom, and when you utter the name of Abi al Fadl al Abbass (PBUH), you feel peace and security because he sums pride, altruism, and honor in his holy name.
To help the dear reader travel by his insight to Karbala – the land of sanctity – it is indispensable to mention the history of that land and to list the chronological eras that granted us these sublime shrines – an immortal evidence that cries through ages that the Grandson of the Prophet (PBUT) was oppressed and that the oppressor had drifted to the abyss of time.
Stages of construction, reconstruction and development of the Al–Abbas’s (PBUH) Holy Shrine
1 – on the thirteenth of Muharram in 61 H after three days of tragedy epic, bodies buried of Imam Hussein (PBUH), his family and his companions, according to the arrangements and placements identified by the Imam As-Sajjad Ali Ibn Al-Hussein(PBUH), to the Bani Assad tribe – who lived on the outskirts of al Taff epic land- and by his help, where was built on the graves evidence for the first time ordered and direction by Imam As-Sajjad (PBUH), where they built the tomb signs cannot remove. Historians reported that they have resided on the tomb of Imam Hussein (PBUH) four trunks of palm-thatched mat of its leaf not far to be like this or like it had happened to the shrine of Abu al Fadl al Abbas (PBUH). It was identified that Bano Asad built a mosque over his grave shed with a door, and the door east of others, and that he was still well to the days of al Rashid.
2 –In the year 65, a group of those who repent of the people of Kufa head for to holy city of Karbala during the reign of the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Malik bin Marwan, they nearly four thousand people, led by Shaabi, Suleiman Ibn Sard Khuzaie, demanding reprisal of Imam Hussein (PBUH), they crowed around the grave such as on the Black Stone in the Kaaba, and the tomb was then known and established building.
3 – In 65 or 66 H, the governor of Iraq at the time Mokhtar Thaqafi instructed to Muhammad bin Ibrahim al-Ashtar to walk to Karbala, and building a mosque and a marquee around the grave and the construction with brick and mud, and the village was built around the shrine.
It seems that Architecture constructed in al Mukhtar al Thaqafi era remained the fall State of Umayyad in year 132H, has removed by al Rashid and Mutawakil, In 198h when restored command for Ma’moun – the seventh rulers of Abbasids -, necessitated his policy – to implement instincts and ambitions – observance feeling of loyalists to Ahlul Beit (PBUH), absorption resentment growing upon political competition for his war with his brother al Ameen, and killing him, so he gave the right to visit tomb of Imam Al-Hussein (PBUH) and reconstruction his shrine, he has built high Dome and luxury sanctuary luxury, so people began inhabit again, then The Ma’moon wanted to be closer to Ahlulbeit (PBUT) persistence his rules, by issuing a resolution mandate Covenant for Imam Al-Rida (PBUH) in 7 of Ramadan 201H and reconstruction of the shrine of Imam Hussein (PBUH), and in 202 he ordered to reconstruct the shrine for the second time, thus have the shrine rebuild in his era twice.
1 – in the year 247H, the shrine was rebuilt and expanded with the development of a high mile on the grave to guide visitors, by the ruling Abbasid al Muntaser ,he called to visit Imam Hussein (PBUH).
2 – In the year 250H, al-Hasan Ibn Zaid al Alawy (bringer of stones) or the great caller order to reconstruct holy shrines in Najaf and Karbala.
3- in the year 279H, Mutadhid Bell Abbasid reconstructed holy shrines in Karbala, the shrine stood up reconstruction and development Tabaristan ruler Mohammed bin Zaid called little caller he is the brother of Hassan bin Zaid said pass-through, so the completion of the construction was by Mohammed to the shrines in Karbala.
In 369H, when the Adhed of the state Ibn Reken of State Albuehi visit his traditional visit to the shrine of Imam Hussein (PBUH) and his brother Abu al Fadl al Abbas (PBUH) order renewal building a dome of Al-Hussein and blessed shrine, and built the shrine of Imam Hussein(PBUH) with ivory and decorated it with jewel and brocade, and built on his holy shrine, and established the city, and interested in the delivery of water, and provided light for the Confused Holy shrine, putting high walls, Adhed of the State devoted land to be invested for the benefit of lighting of the Two Holy Shrines, Al Hussein (PBUH) and his brother Al Abbas (PBUH) .
In the year 371H, Adhed of the state continued his traditional visit to the holy shrines, it seems to be that he supervised in this year ceremony of the completion of reconstruction and building the shrine of Al-Hussein (PBUH), and the first building at the tomb of al Abbas (PBUH) was in the year 372H (983 AD) in the era of Adhed of the State Albuehi.
In the year 407H, the Reconstruction and Development done by the Minister al-Hasan Ibn al-Fadl Ibn Sahlan Alramehrmazi, and put a new construction to the wall of the Holy shrine, this is the second wall to Karbala.
In the year 513H, the renewal and development of building the shrine and Al-Haram done by the Prince Iddris Al-Asadi,a prince of Bani Muzied al Asadia, which was its capital Hilla.
1 – In the year 620H the reconstruction of the shrine was by order of the Abbasid ruler Ahmad Nasser al-Din Ibn Almstadhae to do by the minister Muyyad al Din Muhammad Mikdadi, Nasser al Deen is different from his fathers in the affection to Ahlulbeit (PBUT) and building their graves.
2 – In the year 656H, after the fall of the Abbasid state, seid Bin Tawes al-Hassani captain of Talbeyen, entrusted with the task of overseeing the holy sites in Najaf and Karbala, and he has fulfilled his vow to the fullest and flourished in his reign.
3 – In the year 696H, the Alaikhan Mahmoud Ghazan (Mongol Muslim ruler) provided generous gifts to build shrines, as well as he and his father, made the delivery of water to the region by opening a channel, and diversion of water from the Euphrates to it.
1 – In 707H, a reconstruction was held by Sultan Muhammad Aolgiato Khoda Banda (Mongol Muslim ruler).
2 – From the year 740H to year 790H, the reconstruction and development had been done by the Sultans of the Ilkhanid Jala’iriyah – one of the Mongol tribes – which ruled Iraq and those who converted to Islam after the invasion, Abbasid Holy starting from the founder, Sheikh Hassan bin Hussein bin Aqbugha, then the ruler Aweys, and thirdly Sultan Hussein, the son of Sheikh Hassan Great, and the fourth, Sultan Ahmed Khan Bahadr Bin Aweys, who was on hand building known to everybody now.
1 – In 836H, the reconstruction had been done by one of the princes of the State of the black sheep, which is known as Mirza Spend (Spaniards), who took care of Shrines in Karbala who got knowledge by Sheikh Ibn Fahd al Hilly.
2 -In 859H, the governor of Shiraz, Prince Bodaq the leader of Sedy Ali ordered to reconstruct of the shrines in Karbala and restore what was destroyed by Almshashon in their attack.
1– From the year 914H to year 930H, the reconstruction of the shrine had been done by the king Ismail, the Safavid.
2 – In the year 941H (1534AD), the reconstruction of the shrine had been done by the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman al Kanwny.
– In 991H (1575AD), rebuilt and expanded done by the Ottoman Sultan Murad III.
1 – in the year 1032H (1623AD), the shrine developed by King Abbas Safavid grandson of King Tohmasb decorate the dome of the shrine of al Abbas (PBUH) with color kashany, and put clip box on the grave, as well as the wall around the shrine (shrine and corridors), were also constructed in the front lobby.
2 – From 1042H to 1045H, the reconstruction of the shrine done by King Safieddin Safavid, where he tightly lighthouses that purgatory shrine and the invented four lighthouses small minarets in the corners of the roof of the holy shrine.
3 – In the year 1055H, the minister in the Safavid Hussein Marashi, who became a minister to Sultan Saifuddin, set the endowments to the shrine and he allocated budget and staff also overseeing the reconstruction of the dome.
1 – In 1105H, the reconstruction had been done by Radhia the daughter of the Sultan Hassan Shah.
2-In 1117H, the reconstruction had been done by the Ottoman Sultan Murad IV.
3 – In the year 1127H (1716AD), the shrine was visited by Abbasi, Minister Hassan Pasha, and he was generous to the shrine and servants.
4 – In 115 H (1740AD), Nadir Shah Alofshari with one of his princes gave gifts and money and abundant and artifacts, and in 1156 his visited the holy shrines, and contributed to improve their standing ,so the he decorate the buildings with his money and gave lavish gifts to the locker of al Hussein and Abbas holy shrines.
5 – In the year 1183H (1769 AD), Nadir Shah Alofshari minister of Mirza Hussein Shah Zada rebuild the front porch and making a new clip box to the shrine.
1 – In the year 1208H, a wall to the city built, and the purchase of houses for visitors, under the supervision of Sayyid Ali Tabatabai owner of Riyadh, with funding from the State Asif King of the Kingdom of the Hindi Knho at that time.
2 – In the year 1221H (1806 AD), the two minarets of al Abbas shrine from the outside tiles with bricks on what is corresponded now, Muhammad Hussein al-Sadr al Atham Isfahani, also he established the ground tunnel to the holy shrine.
3 – In the year 1231H, Mohammad Hussein Khan Sadr Isfahani, known system of the State- who became prime minister in the reign of Sultan Fateh Ali Shah Qajari – presented a silver door to shrine of al Abbas (PBUH).
4 – In the year 1232H, Sultan Fateh Ali Shah Qajari after his meeting with Sheikh Jaafar Kashef Al Kota the Shiite community leader –he ordered for renewal what had been looted, and rebuilt of the dome kashi Karbalai.
5- In the year 1246H, Sultan Fateh Ali Shah established on the grave the final box.
6 – In the year 1249H, Sultan Fateh Ali Shah order to make a box to the shrine of Abbas (PBUH) with pure silver and it was installed above the tomb in the month of Dhu al-Hijjah of the same year.
7 – In 1258H, Sultan of the Kingdom Awed in India (Lucknow) Mohammed Ali Shah Indian bin Sultan Majid Ali Shah, accompanied by his wife, Princess (Taj Darberho), and ordered the reconstruction of the holy shrine and established small gold Iwan which in front of the first door before,and has been completed the reconstructions in 1259H.
8 – In 1261H, the front lobby has been gilding the (gold iwan) and plating the door of its shrine by said Abraham, the owner of controls.
9 -In the year 1266H, the reconstruction of the shrine was done by the Ottoman Sultan Abdul-Majid, the first son of Sultan Mahmud II, which he renewed dome with kashany, and roofing dooryard with wood.
10 – In 1266H (1848 AD), the Ottoman state made some repairs and renovations for each of the tombs, the purpose was to cut the road on the Iranians, remedial work and repairs continued for a period of two years and ended in 1850AD.
11-In the years 1273H –in the mid-nineteenth century – Sheikh Abdul-Hussein Tehrani, called (Iraqis’ Sheikh) financed by the Nasser al-Din Shah Qajari reconstruction of the grave and the shrine, the expansion of the western side and a section of the northern side of the wall.
12 – In 1285H, Ms. Taj Mahal Indian covered the top of the waxed box.
13 – In the year 1287H (1870AD), Sultan Nasir al-Din Qajari has visited and gave money to reconstruction in the holy shrine.
1 – In 1304H, Muhammad Sadiq Isfahani Shirazi purchase the building round the shrine and added them to it, built the shrine with kashey as well as the renewal of the Pavement dome with kashany, when he died was buried in the room where the Qibla gate known by his name.
2 – In the year 1306H (1889AD), the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid, re-roofing of the front foyer of the shrine with teak and beech.
3- In the year 1309H (1892AD), Mrs. Ehteram, the wife of Nasir al-Din Shah Qajari dressed part of the lobby with gold, was completed by Asif Mohammed Ali Shah (Allknahori) by dressing the rest of the front wall of the lobby with gold as well.
4 – In the year 1309H, the merchant named Abdul-Jabbar Tabrizi – and said Shirazi – make a donation by gliding upper part of al Abbas holy shrine minarets and completed them in 1310H.
5 – In the year 1311H (1894AD), a large clock was erected above the Qibla gate of al Abbas shrine PBUH, by Hajj Amin al-Sultan, it is still standing now, and oversaw the laying of Sayyed Ali keteb.
6 – In the year 1319H, Hassan called “mguetdr the Sultanate”, ordered to re-paint the western facade of the lobby with gold.
7 – In the year 1357H, the king of Iraq – Ghazi the first set up an electric generator in Karbala to provide the shrines with power.
8 – In 1360H (1940AD), expropriated the Department of Antiquities of Iraq gate a piece of land next to al Abbas holy shrine, and created the designs and plans as required for the establishment of the museum.
9- In the year 1366H, the Directorate of Public Works in the holy city of Karbala to provide the shrines with generator of electricity.
10 – In the year 1367H (1948AD), merchant Hajj Hussein Hajar Bashi donated to pave the ground of al Abbas holy shrine with luxury marble, and the packaging the walls of the Haram al-Sharif with marble in the same year.
11-In the year 1373 AH (1951AD), the front facades of the courtyard dressed with streaky qashani, the walls has been decorating and roof of the eternal inside with crystals and pieces of small mirrors and decorated with fine art.
12 – In 1382H (1962AD), Iraqi government appointed to the Commission for the construction of the holy shrines in Karbala.
13 – In 1385H (1965AD), Eminence the religious authority, the late Grand Ayatollah Sayyed Muhsin al-Hakim the top of the range – at the time (KS) making silver casement which currently located at the tomb of al Abbas (PBUH), and set the gold door in dooryard.
The Ministry of Endowment and Religious Affairs of Iraq which replaced by the Shiite Endowment of the Iraqi Council of Ministers) got the role of tasking the reconstruction based on the system of the holy sites, No. 21 of 1969.
1 – In 1400H (1980AD), the Ministry of Endowment and Religious Affairs of Iraq begin to remove private buildings, markets and shops between the two holy shrines adjacent to the holy shrines, in order to open a route between the two shrines.
2-In 1406H, the completion of the outer wall of the courtyard Abbasid Al-Sharif in the development plan of the Two Holy shrines.
3 – In 1407H, the inauguration of a project to develop between the Holy, which included a link the two shrines, Husseiniya and Abbasid, by One Square is called the Square of the Two Holy shrines.
4 – In 1411H (1990AD), the work of the tiles gold minaret east of the shrine was completed by the (Association of Husseini iceberg) of the range Bohras, and the amount of gold used are (17548.9 grams).
5 – After the fall of the tyrant in 1424H (2003AD), upon receipt of the Department designated by the Supreme Religious Authority in Najaf took hold in the holy shrines of Karbala, an order was issued to form a temporary committees to manage the holy shrines, and therefore the return of the legitimate which lost for two centuries, when it began a new era where, sparked a major campaign of reconstructions and additions to the shrines.
Parts and Architecture of the Holy Shrine
Architecture of the holy shrines is considered part of global human cultural heritage, and one of the most beautiful monuments in the eternal history of human civilization. The Holy Shrine of Abu Al Fadl Al Abbas was built as most of the holy sites in Iraq, in the form of castles and impregnable forts, as it were structured several centuries ago according to those architectural styles for security and environmental reasons, with a philosophy of architectural and art helped for its establishment in accordance with these styles because of their spiritual inspiration , so we find that it is characterized by the existence of walls punctuated by monumental gateways to suggest to the viewer prestige and great dignity.
These walls includes facilities of service and stores including only the tombs, stores, the hostelry and rooms of custodians, while being separated from the center of the Mausoleum by the main courtyard called the Holy Shrine centering it the main building, the center, and it is also the main holy site all visitors are circumambulating about, the status of spiritual and religious connection, as it includes the Holy Mausoleum of al Abbas (PBUH). The Shrine consists of:
- The Dome
- The Ceiling of the Holy Shrine
- The Tomb’s Cover [Kiswah]
- Tower Clock of the al-Abbas’s (PBUH) Holy Shrine
- The Minarets
- The basements of the holy sanctuary
- The grid of the holy shrine
- Horizontal Expansion of the Holy Shrine
- New Burdah [cover] of the shrine
- Iwans of the Holy Sanctuary
- The crypt of the holy tomb and the secret of the purity of its water
- The Holy Site of the right hand
- The Holy Site of the left hand
The Holy Shrine from outside is almost rectangular shape with rounded opposed corners except the south-eastern corner, where the area of the Holy Shrine is about (10 973 M2), including the areas of the entrance prominent of the Wall of the holy shrine, its circumference is about 395 meters.
A great wall is surrounding the holy shrine from outside guardrail, built of brick and decorated from outside with brackets, interior and exterior coated with bricks and tiles, pottery and decorated with al kashi Karbalai tiles ornate and decorated with Islamic inscriptions, and in the top of the fence a signboard of Kashi Karbalai (tiles) with manuscript of the Holy Quran.
The Entrances of the Shrine
– The gate of the Prophet (Al–Qibla): This entrance is located on the south side of the holy shrine. It’s the main entrance to the holy shrine also called Al Qibla gate for its presence in such direction, which directed from outside to al Abbas Street (PBUH). All parts of the gate from outside and inside are decorated with brick carvings waves of Kashi Karbalai.
– The gate of Imam Ali (PBUH): This gate is located in the south-eastern side of the holy shrine. Its roof is enveloped from the inside with kasha Karbalai in the form of arches and Islamic domes, and decorated from the outside with Islamic trappings inscription on the brick tiles, to demonstrate Islamic architecture. This gate is called the palm since it faced to the left palm of al Abbas (PBUH).
– The gate of Euphrates (Al-’Alqami): This gate is located on the east side of the holy shrine. This gate is also called the entrance of Imam Ali Ibn Musa Rida (PBUH) or the door of the Euphrates, and it was called al Alqami to meet with the River of al Alqami which traced the Euphrates River-based while the battle of Taff.
– The gate of Imam Ali Al–Hadi (PBUH): This gate is located in the north-east of the holy shrine, its roof is coated with bricks and engraved decoration Moroccan Islamic and where door leading to the first surface of the holy shrine, and the gate opened recently in 1974.
– The gate of Imam Mohammad Al–Jawad (PBUH): This gate is located on the north side of the holy shrine. The door is made of high-resistance materials for weather, climate and insulation for sound and heat. It is framed with a tape of Quranic verses written on it with light illumination: “Peace be upon you O moon of Bani Hashem.”
– The gate of Imam Musa Ibn Ja’far (PBUH): This gate is located in the northwest corner of the holy shrine. The length of the lobby that links between the outside of the holy shrine and the wall opposite to the outside entrance is 17.52 m, the area is 79.58 m2.
– The gate of Imam the Owner of the Time (may Allah hasten his holy reappearance): This gate is located on the western side of the holy shrine in the middle of another two gates, these gates opposite to Imam Hussein holy shrine (PBUH). IT has been named to the name of Imam the master of the day (PBUH) in reference to the interdependence between him and the revolution of Imam Hussein as the appearance and establishment of the State of Justice of the World on his hands as from of fruits of that revolution by the grandfather of Imam Hussein (PBUH) that kept the Mohammedan message alive.
– The gate of Imam Al–Hussein (PBUH): This gate is located on the western side of the holy shrine, where the visitor faces when he came out of the gate of the holy shrine holy of the master of martyrs (PBUH). Its inside ceiling is decorated with Islamic decoration in the form of a dome of bricks decorated with kashi Karbalai, the gate from the outside is decorated with honeycomb-shaped half-dome at the entrance.
– The gate of Imam Al–Hassan (PBUH): The gate is adjacent to the door of Imam Hussein (PBUH) in the southwestern corner of the holy shrine. The form of the gate from inside the holy shrine appears to as an arc high level of high interface Alowaoin the same height above the ground and wrapped with kashi Karbalai.
The courtyard of the shrine: This side is located in front of the Qibla that is the main interface to holy shrine. Its length front to the holy shrine is 72.5 meters, and contains (16) Iwans.
– The center of the shrine: In the center of the Holy Shrine there is a roofed, almost rectangular building includes the Mausoleum of Abu al Fadl al Abbas (PBUH), surrounded by corridors, the front Iwan from the Qibla direction is the gold Iwan, with a total area of about 1889 m2, and surrounded by an unroofed courtyard called “Shrine”, and in the summer it is roofed by moving curtains to shield the visitors of the holy shrine and to secure a comfortable sitting where it is fully furnished with carpets and distributed by dozens of fans in summer.
– The Al–Abbas’s Holy Sanctuary: The four lobbies, south, east, north and west are overlooking with their four aspects on courtyard, surrounded from each the destinations of the four side very large wall of a underlying dome honest. This courtyard have formed a major mosque which is located in the middle of this place the holy tomb of Abu al Fadl al Abbas (PBUH) this mosque is called (al Abbas holy shrine)
The basements of the holy sanctuary
Basement of Imam al– Hussein (PBUH): is located on the western side of the holy shrine in the area between the gates of the Owner of the Time and of Imam al-Hassan (PBUT) on an area of approximately 1000 m2, equipped with all the amenities for the visitors as well as elevators and escalators without intersection with the movement of visitors.
Basement of Imam al–Jawad (PBUH): is one of the projects implemented for the first time if the holy shrines in Iraq, with an area of 1000 m2. It is located in the northern side between the gate of Imam Musa Al-Kathem and the one of Imam Ali Al-Hadi (PBUH), supplied with all amenities like for the rest of the basements of the holy shrine’s expansion.
The Projects of the al–Abbas’s (PBUH) Holy Shrine
– The grid of the holy shrine of Aba al–Fadl al–Abbas (PBUH): The new grid of the holy shrine of al-Abbas (PBUH), was manufactured in the workshops of the drafting plant of the holy shrine with specifications of high durability, quality and precision. It is the first grid that is manufactured in Iraq by Iraqis. It is characterized by new and unique characteristics added to its uniqueness and the beauty of the engravings and inscriptions as well as being distinguished from the rest of the shrines in the world.
– Gilding the two minarets of the al–Abbas’s (PBUH) Holy Shrine: Due to the factors of time, weather, groundwater and neglect leading to significant damage affected the glazed tiles, as well as the large cracks in the body of the two minarets of the shrine of Aba al-Fadl al-Abbas (PBUH), and the need for an immediate solution to that. Therefore, the project of strengthening and maintaining them has been completed in conjunction with the project of gilding the two minarets within 22 months, In order to preserve the writings and inscriptions on the two facades of the former minarets, which were redrawn, measured, and redesigned. Instead of being glazed tiles, they became gold-enameled tiles. This project was inaugurated on the auspicious birth anniversary of al-Abbas (PBUH) in 1431H.
– The horizontal expansion project of the al–Abbas’s (PBUH) holy shrine: This project intends to increase the infrastructure of the Holy Shrine in order to provide better services to visitors and to cover the activities’ growth in the Holy Shrine’s different sections with their various specialties (engineering, scientific, intellectual, educational, service, regulatory, financial and other specialties). As well as the replacement of a lot of service units such as secretariats, places of inspection and where to put the shoes, with stable built offices integrated into the new space.
– Expansion project of the sanctuary of Abu al–Fadl al–Abbas (PBUH) by roofing it: The project comes in order to provide maximum comfort and tranquility to the visitor, by providing protection against climate variability in the cold winter and hot summer, in addition to giving a special aesthetic touch, taking into consideration to not cover fully the vision in the sanctuary and preserving the sanctity of the place.
– Al–Kafeel Super Speciality Hospital: The project comes in support to the health sector in Iraq, to cover the shortage in number of beds, which reached only 30% of the need of the province, and as a contribution from the holy shrines of Karbala to fill a part of the shortage mentioned in the health field. The hospital is consisting of 200 beds according to the need of each specialization. It also includes 12 operation rooms, emergency halls, consulting offices and external offices.
– The project of the al–Abbas’s (PBUH) Residential Complex: In appreciation of the efforts of the employees of the al-Abbas’s (PBUH) holy shrine in the service of the visitors, and in order to provide them with decent housing in line with the international development in the field of housing, the Shrine established a residential complex for its employees under the name “al-Kafeel Residential Complex”, in which the houses were distributed to them at a subsidized price and comfortable installments.
– The project of the Iwans of the al–Abbas’s (PBUH) Holy Shrine: The process of restoration and maintenance of the 57 Iwans on each floor, is one of the important and fundamental stages of the expansion project of the shrine of al-Abbas (PBUH) by roofing it, as it is one of the main facades that give a beautiful aesthetic that simulate the past in a modern way.. The General Secretariat of the Shrine has sought to unify the form of this facade with the same architectural texture of the ground floor.
– The Maintenance of Maqam Imam al–Mahdi (may Allah hasten his holy reappearance): As a result of more than 25 years since the construction of the Maqam of Imam al-Mahdi (may Allah hasten his holy reappearance), the effects of the weather began appearing on the building in addition to the use of bad materials at that time, especially in the dome and the walls and floors, so the Maqam was in need of urgent maintenance.
– The building project of the al–Kafeel Women Radio and the al–Kafeel Institute: The project comes after the success of Al-Kafeel Radio of the department of intellectual and cultural affairs at the al-Abbas’s (PBUH) Holy Shrine, and the expansion of the scope of its work and its services and the increase of its listeners’ number. And to keep abreast of the scientific and technical developments witnessed by the media and because of its narrow work space inside the holy shrine. So they decided to expand this project by establishing a new building for the al-Kafeel Radio to accommodate the new expanded studios equipped with modern technologies that meet the need for radio works. What distinguishes the Al-Kafeel Radio from other radios in the world that all its technical and administrative staff is only of women.
– Al–Kafeel Center for Physical Therapy and Health Rehabilitation: This project is one of the health projects adopted by the Holy Shrine for a wide range of citizens. It is of great importance and benefits not only to the citizens of the holy city of Karbala, but also to those living in the other provinces.
– Al–Kulayni Complex for serving the visitors: After the success of the service hospitality complex established by the Holy Shrine on the Najaf-Karbala road, by providing services to the visitors, especially those arriving on foot. And in order to the expansion of its services provided to the visitors and in continuation of its service projects built on all roads leading to the holy city of Karbala.
– The hospitality complex of Imam al–Hadi (PBUH): Due to the increase in the number of delegations and personalities who are honored to visit the holy shrine, this guest house has been established with all amenities, as part of the Holy Shrine various service projects.
– The Center of as–Siddiqah al–Tahirah (PBUH) for women activities: Believing in the importance of the role of women in the family and society, and working to guide them in accordance with the views and behavior of the Ahlulbeit (PBUT), in all psychological, moral, social, educational and professional aspects, to become a more effective and influential element in building society, the holy shrine established a center specialized in woman culture.
– The Institute of the Holy Quran: it was established in 1431H, carrying a Holy mission to spread the real Islam and its concepts. The institute undertook many Quranic researches and studies as well as printing of the Holy Quran and many books.
– University of AL-Kafeel : The University aims at establishing the coordination between the Islamic heritage and the necessities of present time, along with future aspiration. Thus, theoretical and practical applications are both achieved for the Muslim society. Its strategy embarks on the roots of Islamic knowledge from one side and the standards of today’s scientific knowledge, on the other side. It seeks to establish a rational interpretation of Islamic religion, all based on the pillars of Ahlulbeit (PBUT) that match the needs of Iraqi society and the Islamic nation.
– Al–Kafeel Academy for Medical Training and Rescue: In response to the increasing need of skills, Dr. Osama Kazem (Consultant Orthopedic & Disaster Medicine) founded the first training center in 2005. The center has trained the various specialties and personnel of firefighters, police and security on more than 20 programs accredited by several international institutions and associations. The Academy is one of the most important centers dealing with health and security.
– AL Kafeel Museum: is a museum of valuables and manuscripts that includes many precious gifts such as manuscripts, ancient weapons, carpets, jewels and many other items and it is the first of its kind in Iraq.
– Noor Al Kafeel Company for Animal and Food Products: The Company is one of the leading companies in animal and food production, which supplies the Iraqi market with various types of animal, agricultural and dairy products. It also sought to promote the national product and national projects through the establishing or contracting with local laboratories.
– The Islamic Center for Strategic Studies: it works in the field of religious strategy, and aims to develop strategic plans in the religious and cultural field, based on the past and the present studies, looking up to improve the future.
– Al Maaref Network for Islamic Heritage: This section is concerned with the cultural knowledge of the different segments of society. It works to spread the ideology of Ahlulbeit (PBUT) through its various centers, which were distributed to: the Holy Qur’an Institute for Men, the Holy Qur’an Institute for Women, the Karbala Heritage Center and many other.
– Al–Jawad Company for Industry and Modern Agriculture: it’s a fundamental pillar in the revival of the national product that serves the Iraqi citizens and fills the shortage in the market. It began its work in 2014 and was initially involved in the production of agricultural fertilizers, which are used for various agricultural crops and vegetables. And In order to maintain high quality, the company adopted a national industrial service strategy, applied modern administrative concepts and deepened in the field of scientific research.
Some of Al kafeel publications:
- Sadda Al Rawdatayn
- Reyad alzahra Magazine
- Rayaheen Al Atfaal Magazine
- Kabasaat Mn Sirat Al Maasoumin (A.S.)
- Ataa Al shabab Magazine
- Ashbal al Kafeel, and many other publications.